This chai spiced ice cream parfait is a fun, scoopable Fall dessert made with delicious layers of crushed waffle cones, chai spiced ice cream, whipped cream, pecans, and caramel sauce layered in a tall glass.
This post is sponsored by my friends at Joy Cone. All opinions are my own.
Who says you can’t have ice cream in the Fall season? Ice cream is definitely a year-round dessert for me. Somehow it tastes even better when it doesn’t melt as fast and don’t forget the Fall flavours!
Typically a Japanese dessert, parfaits have long been my favourite treat for times when I want a little bit of everything sweet, crunchy, and satisfying. Japanese ice cream parfaits usually consist of layers of cereal, whipped cream, mochi, and ice cream, most commonly in matcha or tea flavours. This chai spiced ice cream parfait is a Fall spin on this classic dessert. It’s so easy and low maintenance to throw everything together in a glass and I love eating it by getting a bit of everything in each spoon. It’s basically the sophisticated version of an ice cream sundae.
What goes into a parfait?
Parfaits are all about different textures. As a guideline, you always need at least something crunchy and something creamy in a parfait.
For this recipe, my something crunchy is a crushed up Joy Cone waffle cone. Just because an ice cream parfait is served in a tall glass, doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the crisp and fragrant waffle cone you typically get at an ice cream shop. Nothing warms my soul more than the delicious buttery, sugary aroma of freshly made waffle cones and Joy Cone lets you bring that experience home with you. These waffle cones are thick and crunchy so they won’t get soggy in your parfait and they have that quintessential fragrance of fresh baking. Their sugar cones would also work perfectly for this for an extra crispy texture.
My something creamy is a super delicious and easy homemade no-churn chai spiced ice cream. No parfait is complete without ice cream. To add another layer of creaminess, I added some simple whipped cream for a taste of something lighter and fluffy to balance everything out.
Customization is my favourite part about parfaits. Add your own favourite things, leave out what you don’t love, or switch up the order of the layers. Every parfait ends up looking different and that’s the beauty of it.
How to make a chai spiced ice cream parfait
Make the chai spiced ice cream: The day before or a few days before you plan to serve your ice cream parfait, make the ice cream. You can also use store-bought ice cream but this no-churn chai spiced ice cream is so easy to make, I promise it’s worth it to make it yourself.
Whisk your whipping cream and chai spices until it becomes soft peaks. Slowly drizzle in the condensed milk while folding it into the cream with a spatula. Pour the mixture into a loaf pan and top with cinnamon and crushed waffle cone pieces for some crunch. Freeze overnight and scoop it when you’re ready to make the parfait.
Make the caramel sauce: Follow my step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade caramel sauce or use a store-bought sauce. But I swear homemade is SO much better. This can be made a few days in advance.
Whip up some cream: Simply whisk up whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until it reaches soft peaks. Make this right before putting your parfait together.
Layer it all together: Start with the crunchy bits. Roughly crush a whole waffle cone in your hands and drop it into the bottom of your glass. Add a layer of whipping cream on top. Add a layer of pecans and then a thin layer of caramel sauce. Add a couple of scoops of your chai spiced ice cream. To top it all off, sprinkle a bit more crushed waffle cone on top, a dusting of cinnamon, a drizzle of caramel, and a long spoon to eat it all with.
Why you’ll love this ice cream parfait recipe
- Super satisfying mix of crispy and creamy textures
- It’s so low maintenance and easy to throw together quickly
- I might just be a nerd but you can have a parfait party where everyone puts together their own parfait. Perfect for kids (or adults too)!
- All the different components can be made a few days in advance or purchased in store
- You taste a bit of everything in every bite
- Did I mention it’s delicious?!
Other Fall dessert recipesPrint
This chai spiced ice cream parfait is a fun Fall dessert made with delicious layers of crushed waffle cones, chai spiced ice cream, whipped cream, pecans, and caramel sauce layered in a tall glass.
- Chai Spiced Ice Cream:
- 600 mL whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 mL sweetened condensed milk
- Whipped Cream:
- 200 mL whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- One box of Joy Cone Waffle Cones, roughly crushed
- 200g pecans, roughly chopped
- One batch homemade caramel sauce
To make the chai spiced ice cream:
- In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and vanilla extract with a whisk or hand mixer until it reaches soft peaks.
- With one hand, slowly drizzle in the condense milk while folding it into the whipped cream with a spatula in the other hand. Fold just until all the condensed milk has been combined. The cream will thin out a bit but will still be thick and fluffy.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin. Top with a dusting of spices and some crushed up waffle cone (optional). Cover the tin with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
To make the whipped cream:
- In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract with a whisk until it reaches soft peaks. Set aside.
To put the parfait together:
- Place the pieces of one crushed up waffle cone in the bottom of the glass.
- Add a layer of whipped cream on top.
- Sprinkle in a layer of chopped pecans.
- Add a thin layer of caramel sauce.
- Add 2-3 scoops of ice cream depending on the size of your glasses.
- Top the parfait with extra waffle cone pieces, a dusting of cinnamon, and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Keywords: ice cream parfait, chai spiced ice cream, waffle cone parfait