Hi! I'm Gail - the food photographer and recipe developer behind Teak & Thyme. I'm based in rainy but beautiful Vancouver, BC, where I was born and raised but serve the food community online everywhere.
Being a creative soul my whole life, I fell in love with photography early on in high school. My visual brain and weird sleeping habits led to late nights playing with Photoshop as a teenager (but before that, is anyone else old enough to remember Gimp and PSP?!).
When I finally pinched and saved up $300, I met up with a random dude from Craigslist in a bookstore Starbucks, and bought my very first Nikon DSLR camera. You could not pry my camera out of my hands after that and the rest is history.
I fell into the food photography and food blogging world shortly afterwards. After all, it is the most logical combination of my two passions in life - photography and eating. And I wouldn't have it any other way. What started as a personal and vegetarian food blog turned into this resource for desserts and photography.
Teak & Thyme is a baking & sweets blog where you will find recipes for sweet things if you're savvy in the kitchen. I love to create tasty and aesthetic desserts that will make you forget about going out to hand over $10 for a slice of cake or $6 for a scoop of ice cream because you know you can make better at home.
When I'm not busy taking photos of food next to the little window in my living room, you can find me snuggled up on the couch as a blanket burrito and eating a pint of ice cream or sipping on an oolong milk tea with pearls.
More about me:
- My Myers-Briggs personality type is INTP and I'm an Enneagram 5w4
- I have a BSc in Biology with a concentration in Cell Biology
- My favourite animals are bunnies, whales, sloths (in that order)
- If I could have any other job in the world, I'd probably be a wildlife photographer
- I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I grew up reading the books and it was and is such an important part of my life.
- My favourite food is fruit. If you think that's lame, then my second favourite is sushi.
- I could sleep for 14 hours a day if I didn't have any life obligations