Hi! I'm Gail - the food photographer and recipe developer behind Teak & Thyme. I'm based in rainy but beautiful Vancouver, BC, where I was born and raised but serve the food community online everywhere.
Being a creative soul my whole life, I fell in love with photography early on in high school. My visual brain and weird sleeping habits led to late nights playing with Photoshop as a teenager (but before that, is anyone else old enough to remember Gimp and PSP?!).
Determined to have a camera to document a high school trip to Europe, I finally saved up $300 and met up with a random guy from Craigslist in a bookstore Starbucks, and bought my very first Nikon DSLR. You could not pry my camera out of my hands after that and the rest is history.
Being someone with a major sweet tooth who always has room for dessert, I fell into the food photography and food blogging world shortly afterwards. After all, it is the most logical combination of my two passions in life - photography and eating. And I wouldn't have it any other way. What started as a personal and vegetarian food blog in my early days eventually turned into this resource for all things desserts, baking, and photography.
Teak & Thyme is a baking & dessert blog where you will find recipes for all kinds of desserts and drinks. I love to create beautiful and delicious desserts that will make you forget about going out for dessert because you know you can make better at home. You! With your hands! And a bit of time, patience, and practice!
When I'm not busy taking photos of food next to the little window in my house, you can find me snuggled up on the couch as a blanket burrito and eating a pint of local ice cream or sipping on an oolong milk tea with boba pearls.
More about me:
- My Myers-Briggs personality type is INTP and I'm an Enneagram 5w4
- I have a BSc in Biology with a concentration in Cell Biology & Physiology
- My favourite animals are bunnies, whales, sloths (in that order)
- If I could have any other job in the world, I'd probably be a wildlife photographer
- I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I grew up reading the books - they saved and shaped me and will forever be an important part of my life.
- My favourite foods are fruit, sushi, and noodles
- I could sleep for 14 hours a day if I didn't have any life obligations