A couple months ago, I had the pleasure of contributing a recipe to volume 3 of Noms Magazine, a local Vancouver food magazine. You can head over to their site or to Issuu to see the issue, featuring several Vancouver food trucks, restaurants, food influencers and of course, recipes! It was so much fun creating something like this and also meeting up with other local like-minded food people in real life! This cake also made it onto the cover of the issue! I'm finally sharing the recipe for this spiced apple cake with salted maple caramel glaze here on the blog as well because it's really one of my favourites.
This spiced apple cake is dense and sweet. Like a more hearty apple pie. Essentially, it's just a caramel apple chopped up and put on top of a cake. It's the best of both worlds and don't even get me started on the salted maple caramel glaze. The caramel is SO. DAMN. GOOD. It honestly makes the entire cake. If it wasn't pure sugar, I would've poured it over everything I ate that week. I was thiiis close to eating it straight up with a spoon like the savage that I am.
Serve this cake warm and it will keep you warm and cozy for the rest of the Winter season. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and pour on some extra caramel for 10 points to Ravenclaw (cause you smart). I promise it's really good.
More apple recipes to try
- Caramel Apple Cake
- Cinnamon Apple Cream Puffs
- Apple Frangipane Tart
- Caramel Apple Crisp
- Cranberry Apple Mojito
Spiced Apple Cake with Salted Maple Caramel
Spiced Apple Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large apples, peeled & sliced
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
Salted Maple Caramel:
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vinegar, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding together with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the batter, slightly overlapping the slice before.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture on top of the apples.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before releasing from the cake pan and slicing.
- Drizzle with salted maple glaze and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, combine maple syrup and brown sugar.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sugar has almost dissolved.
- Add the butter and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the heavy cream and sea salt and cook for another 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly. The glaze should bubble up and become lighter in colour.
- Once the glaze thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and transfer to a jar to finish cooling.
- If you’re not using the glaze right away, microwave for 30 seconds before drizzling.
Not what you were looking for? See the rest of my recipes!