This sweet and refreshing soju yakult cocktail combines any flavour of Korean Soju with a nostalgic yogurt drink into a delicious bubbly cocktail.
For many people, Yakult is a nostalgic drink from their childhood. I grew up begging my mom to get a pack of Yakult from the local Asian grocery store once in a while as a treat, after being drawn to the tiny and cute bottles. My favourite way to drink it was to freeze it so that it would turn into a slushy.
This soju yakult sprite drink combines one of my favourite alcoholic spirits with this delicious yogurt drink. Soju and yakult go together so well! It's fruity, tart, and sweet at the same time. The Sprite adds some bubbles to bring the whole drink together.
What is soju?
Soju is a Korean distilled alcohol made with rice or other starches, with the largest manufacturer of soju being Jinro. Soju tastes most similar to vodka with slightly less burn and a lower alcohol content of about 20% ABV. Along with the original (chamisul) flavour, many sweet and fruity flavours are now available and preferable for drinking straight or mixing drinks.
What is yakult?
Yakult is a sweetened yogurt drink that is made by fermenting skimmed milk with probiotics. The Yakult brand of yogurt drink originates from Japan but similar drinks are produced in other countries such as Wahaha from China, Betagen from Thailand, and Epoca Cool Plus in America.
Regardless of the brand, Yakult is known for its recognizable tiny bottle and foil wrapper lid. The taste is sweet and milky with a tart and dry mouthfeel. In addition to its delicious, citrusy flavour, it's also good for gut health and digestion.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This soju yakult recipe is so easy to make and easily scalable thanks to the equal ratios. Simply mix everything together and enjoy.
- Soju with yakult tastes so delicious and refreshing together!
- You can make many variations of this drink by changing the Soju flavour or adding fresh fruits.
- Ice - Use as much or as little as you like.
- Yakult yogurt drink - Yakult is the brand name but I'll use it for clarity to avoid confusion with other types of yogurt drinks like kefir. Use any brand of yakult you have available to you. They come in tiny 62-65mL bottles with a red or green foil wrapper lid.
- Soju - Use any flavour of Soju you like. I used the peach flavour. Strawberry or mango would be delicious as well.
- Sprite or 7-Up - We're just using this to add some carbonation to the drink. Use club soda if you don't want any extra sweetness but I personally prefer sweet cocktails.
How to make a soju yakult cocktail
Fill a glass about halfway with ice. Pour in Yakult, Soju, and top with Sprite. Stir to mix before enjoying! It's that simple.
This soju yakult cocktail is best served immediately after mixing but it can be stored in the fridge for a few hours.
Tips & variations
Soju flavours - Change up the Soju for a different flavour. Use chamisul (original flavour) if you don't want any sweetness or fruitiness. Most other flavours of Soju work well when paired with Yakult such as peach, strawberry, mango, and apple.
Adjust to your liking - You can adjust the level of ice, amount of alcohol, and amount of Yakult to taste. Use more or less Soju for a stronger or weaker cocktail. Use 1 bottle of Yakult instead of 2 if you want a more subtle yogurt flavour.
Other variations - Add muddled fresh fruits such as strawberries or mangoes for even more fruit flavour and dimension.
Frequently asked questions
Strawberry, peach, mango, and apple flavour Soju work best when mixed with Yakult but you can't really go wrong with any flavour. Have fun experimenting!
Yes! Soju and yakult are a great pairing and tastes delicious. It's sweet, tart, and fruity with a hint of whichever flavour of Soju you use.
Yakult is a Japanese probiotic yogurt drink but other Asian countries introduced their own versions of it in the following years.
More soju cocktail recipes to try
Soju Yakult Cocktail
- 2 oz Yakult yogurt drink
- 2 oz Soju
- 2 oz Sprite or 7-Up, or club soda if you don't want extra sweetness
- Fill a glass about halfway with ice. Pour in Yakult, Soju, and top with Sprite. Stir to mix before enjoying!