Iced matcha oat milk latte topped with blended strawberry sweet cream makes for a fruity twist on your favourite matcha latte
This strawberry matcha latte might be the prettiest matcha drink I've ever made with its two-tone green and pink layers. I could never say no to a pink matcha latte. So. Cute.
I've seen this drink being ordered at Starbucks (if you're interested, order an "iced matcha latte with sweet cream and strawberry puree blended into the sweet cream") and it looks simply beautiful. If you love any kind of matcha drink, this is how to make something similar at home.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Matcha - I always, always suggest using ceremonial grade matcha powder in drinks. You can use culinary grade matcha powder but it is less concentrated and the flavour and colour is completely different. Ceremonial grade matcha is deep, vivid green in colour and much more aromatic and naturally fresher and sweeter in taste.
- Milk - You can use dairy milk, plant-based milks, or nut milks. My personal preference is oat milk because it's slightly thicker and slightly naturally sweet which makes a creamy latte and the flavour goes so well with matcha.
- Sweetener - Liquid sweeteners like agave nectar, honey, and simple syrup work best with matcha because they mix together easily. You can definitely also use granulated sugar but just make sure it dissolves thoroughly. Adjust the sweetness level to your tastes.
- Strawberries - You can use fresh or frozen strawberries - both work perfectly. If using frozen, let them thaw in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for 30 mins to 1 hour before blending.
- Heavy cream - The heavy cream in the strawberry sweet cream really makes a difference in the consistency of the cream. The addition of the extra bit of regular milk prevents it from turning into whipped cream when blended. For a plant-based alternative, you can use canned coconut milk or regular plant-based milk and froth it well in the blender.
How to make a strawberry matcha latte
In a small bowl, sift in matcha powder. Pour in hot water and whisk vigorously with a bamboo whisk or milk frother until slightly foamy on top. Stir in your sweetener while it's still warm.
Fill a glass about ¾ full with ice. Pour in milk and matcha. Stir to combine.
In a small bullet blender, blend together strawberries, heavy cream, milk, and sweetener for 5-10 seconds until the consistency resembles melted ice cream.
Pour on top of the matcha latte and give it a gentle stir to blend the layers into a gradient.
Other matcha recipes to try
- Whipped Matcha Latte
- Matcha Cream Puffs
- Matcha Mille Crepe Cake
- Matcha White Chocolate Cookies
- No-Bake Matcha Cheesecake
- Matcha Strawberry Cake
Strawberry Matcha Latte
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder, ceremonial grade
- 2 oz hot water
- 1 teaspoon liquid sweetener, e.g. agave nectar
- 6 oz milk, dairy or plant-based (I prefer oat milk)
Strawberry Sweet Cream
- 2-3 medium strawberries
- 2 oz heavy cream
- 1 oz milk
- 1 teaspoon sweetener
- In a small bowl, sift in matcha powder. Pour in hot water and whisk vigorously with a bamboo whisk or milk frother until dissolved and slightly foamy on top. Stir in your sweetener while it's still warm.
- Fill a glass about ¾ full with ice. Pour in milk and matcha. Stir to combine.
Strawberry Sweet Cream
- In a small bullet blender, blend together strawberries, heavy cream, milk, and sweetener for 5-10 seconds until the consistency resembles melted ice cream.
- Pour on top of the matcha latte and give it a gentle stir to blend the layers into a gradient.
This is so good! Very refreshing and the perfect amount of every ingredient, I use turbinado sugar to sweeten it, thank you for sharing!
So good! We prefer ours with oatmilk in the latte and dairy milk in the strawberry cream... and maple syrup as sweetener for both.
I'm loving this flavor combination for a latte. It's earthy, fruity and very refreshing.
I just love matcha! I bet the strawberry combined with it is just amazing! Yum. 🙂
Not only is this delicious, but it's absolutely gorgeous! Love matcha on its own but adding strawberry to the mix just takes it to a whole new level of awesome.
Sisley White - Sew White
The colours of this drink alone make me want to have it every day. So full of flavour and absolutely delicious.
I love this drink! I could just replace my coffee addiction for a sweet strawberry matcha latte with extra strawberries.
So delicious. I added more syrup but that's my personal preference. I like how the recipe isn't too sweet so we can adjust it to our liking. Love it!
Holy bananas, this drink is excellent! I just made it and it's definitely going into my rotation I used coconut milk instead of plant for the matcha. Amazing!