Recipe for soft and chewy, toasted pistachio dark chocolate cookies – the grown up version of your favourite chewy chocolate chip cookies
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 115 g (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 155 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 100 g 70% cacao dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 100 g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spread pistachios in one layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Toast pistachios in preheated oven for 6-8 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool on tray. (optional: rub pistachios in between a clean towel to remove skins)
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter in a mixing bowl. Mix until no lumps remain.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until batter is smooth and flows off spatula like molten lava.
- With a large sieve, sift flour and baking soda into batter. Fold into mixture until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Gently fold in chocolate and pistachios, reserving a small handful of both for later (optional).
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for about 30 mins or overnight.
- With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop out 1-2 inch spherical mounds of the chilled cookie dough onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Leave at least 3-4 inches between adjacent cookies and sides of the tray for spreading (about 6 cookies per large tray).
- With the extra pieces of chocolate and pistachios you set aside earlier, press a few pieces of both on top of each cookie dough mound (optional: skip this step if you don’t care about “seeing” the chocolate and pistachios on the tops of your cookies)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies just begin to lightly brown. Do not overbake! They should be too soft to pick up when still hot.
- Let cool completely on baking tray before handling.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, pistachio chocolate cookies, dark chocolate cookies