These toasted pistachio dark chocolate cookies are just decadent enough without being over the top. They are like the grown up version of your favourite chewy chocolate chip cookie. They are soft and chewy and also the perfect candidates for those beloved cookie wrinkles and chocolate pools that I strive for. No one does chocolate pools like Butter and Brioche does though. *baking goals*
I’m definitely team soft & chewy when it comes to cookies and these toasted pistachio dark chocolate cookies fit the bill. The bitter dark chocolate elevates this cookie into something that feels a little more sophisticated than milk chocolate. I wouldn’t go any higher than a 70% cacao dark chocolate unless you really dig that bitterness otherwise it will start to overpower the rest of the flavours. The slightly salty pistachios give it a crunch factor while balancing out the sweet cookie dough, making a complex emulsion of flavours. Toasting the pistachios in the oven is a quick step but I highly recommend it. It deepens that beautiful pistachio aroma and makes them much more fragrant in the final cookie.
Be sure to eat these right away or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days to maintain the softness. …If you can resist not eating the whole batch fresh out of the oven in the first place. Seriously, that’s a struggle for me every time I bake something. The good news is that cookies freeze very well. I throw any leftover cookies in the freezer to save for a rainy day.
P.S. I tend to measure ingredients by weight because I’m too lazy to wash measuring cups. Let me know if you want want these measurements by volume or you can do also google conversions from grams to cups for each specific ingredient!
Recipe for soft and chewy, toasted pistachio dark chocolate cookies – the grown up version of your favourite chewy chocolate chip cookies
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 115 g (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 155 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 100 g 70% cacao dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 100 g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spread pistachios in one layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Toast pistachios in preheated oven for 6-8 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool on tray. (optional: rub pistachios in between a clean towel to remove skins)
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter in a mixing bowl. Mix until no lumps remain.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until batter is smooth and flows off spatula like molten lava.
- With a large sieve, sift flour and baking soda into batter. Fold into mixture until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Gently fold in chocolate and pistachios, reserving a small handful of both for later (optional).
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for about 30 mins or overnight.
- With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop out 1-2 inch spherical mounds of the chilled cookie dough onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Leave at least 3-4 inches between adjacent cookies and sides of the tray for spreading (about 6 cookies per large tray).
- With the extra pieces of chocolate and pistachios you set aside earlier, press a few pieces of both on top of each cookie dough mound (optional: skip this step if you don’t care about “seeing” the chocolate and pistachios on the tops of your cookies)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies just begin to lightly brown. Do not overbake! They should be too soft to pick up when still hot.
- Let cool completely on baking tray before handling.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, pistachio chocolate cookies, dark chocolate cookies
Not what you were looking for? See the rest of my recipes!