Warm and cozy vibes! This spiced apple cake with salted maple caramel drizzle is like a warm caramel apple pie on top of a cake
Spiced Apple Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large apples, peeled & sliced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon, mixed
Salted Maple Caramel:
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch springform cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vinegar, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding together with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the batter, slightly overlapping the slice before.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture on top of the apples.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before releasing from the cake pan and slicing.
- Drizzle with salted maple glaze and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, combine maple syrup and brown sugar.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sugar has almost dissolved.
- Add the butter and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the heavy cream and sea salt and cook for another 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly. The glaze should bubble up and become lighter in colour.
- Once the glaze thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and transfer to a jar to finish cooling.
- If you’re not using the glaze right away, microwave for 30 seconds before drizzling.
Keywords: apple cake, salted caramel, salted maple caramel, fall baking, apple pie cake