Swoonworthy crispy layers of puff pastry and nutella in these simple and easy nutella cruffins – a cross between a croissant and a muffin!
Adapted from The Farmer’s Daughter
- 1 sheet of store-bought frozen puff pastry dough, thawed in fridge overnight
- 2–3 tablespoons Nutella spread
- Egg wash: 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, stirred together
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
Coffee Whipped Cream
- 100g whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a muffin pan.
- Gently unroll a sheet of thawed puff pastry dough onto a floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough in one direction until it has elongated by a few inches.
- With an offset spatula, gently spread a thin layer of nutella onto the surface of the dough, all the way to the edges.
- Starting at one long end, gently roll the dough with your fingers until it becomes a spiral log.
- With a knife, cut straight down the middle of the roll lengthwise. You will end up with two long strips. Then, cut each strip in half crosswise so you end up with 4 shorter pieces.
- With each piece of dough, cut side facing upwards, roll into a snail spiral. Tuck the end underneath itself and place into a greased muffin pan.
- Brush cruffins with egg wash.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and cooked through the center. Sprinkle with granulated sugar while warm.
- Whisk together the whipping cream, coffee, and sugar. Transfer to a piping bag with a closed star tip and pipe dollops on top of each cruffins. Also drop a teaspoon of extra nutella onto each cruffin.
Keywords: cruffins, nutella cruffins, homemade cruffins, cruffin recipe