These hazelnut linzer cookies feature two soft linzer cookies sandwiching a hazelnut spread filling and a dusting of powdered sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g hazelnut flour, finely ground
- 380g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50g hazelnut spread
Prepare the dough
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and both sugars with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and creamy. Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together hazelnut flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this to the large mixing bowl of wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and divide the dough in half. Press each half into a flattened disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take one disc of dough out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before rolling out.
- On a floured surface, roll out one disc of dough to 1/8 inch (3mm) thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookie rounds that will become the bottom cookies.
- Carefully transfer cookies to a baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch in between cookies. Re-roll the scraps and repeat.
- Bake the bottom cookies for 10 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with the other section of dough as above.
- After transferring the cookie rounds to the baking sheet, With a mini cookie cutter in the shape of your choice, cut out the middle of each cookie round. Lift up the cut out with a toothpick and bake them on the same sheet or re-roll as scraps.
- Bake the top cookies for 9 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack.
Assembling the cookies
- Invert the bottom cookies and spread 1-2 teaspoons of hazelnut spread onto each cookie.
- With a small sieve, dust the top cookies with powdered sugar. Sandwich a matching top and bottom cookie together and press together gently.
Keywords: hazelnut linzer cookies, nutella linzer cookies, holiday cookies, hazelnut cookies