Decadent Ferrero Rocher macarons that taste just like the chocolates, with a chocolate macaron shell, Nutella filling, and crushed hazelnuts.
- 90g egg whites (about 3 large eggs), room temperature, aged for 24hrs
- 50g granulated sugar
- 200g powdered sugar
- 110g super-fine almond flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
Hazelnut Filling & Toppings
- 220g Nutella
- 80g dark chocolate, melted
- handful of roasted hazelnuts, crushed
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a hand mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add ½ the granulated sugar and beat on high speed. Add the remaining granulated sugar and continue beating until egg whites reach stiff peaks.
- Using a fine mesh sieve, sift together the almond flour, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder into the meringue. Press remaining pieces into the sieve and discard any leftover large pieces.
- With a rubber spatula, fold the mixture into the meringue, pressing the batter against the bottom and sides of the bowl and scooping it back together until the batter ribbons off the spatula when lifted. Do not overmix.
- Line one or two large baking trays with parchment paper, cut to size so the edges lay flat.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a round tip. Pipe batter onto prepared baking tray into 1 – 1 ½ inch disks.
- Lift and drop the baking tray onto a hard surface 2-3 times to smooth out the batter and knock out any air bubbles. Pop any air bubbles that rise with a toothpick.
- Allow macarons to rest at room temperature for one hour, until a skin forms on the surface of the macaron.
- Preheat oven to 285˚F (140˚C)
- After an hour, gently brush the top a macaron with your finger to check that a skin has formed. The batter should not stick to your finger, if it does, allow to set for an additional 15 minutes.
- Bake macarons in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until they cleanly peel away from the parchment when lifted.
- Allow the shells to cool completely before filling.
Assembling the Macarons
- Transfer Nutella filling into a piping bag with a round tip and pipe onto the bottom side of a cooled shell and sandwich together with a similarly sized cookie.
- Transfer melted chocolate to a small piping bag and snip corner off to make a tiny hole. Drizzle chocolate over one side of the macarons. Sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts before the chocolate hardens.
Keywords: ferrero rocher macarons, hazelnut macarons, macarons, ferrero rocher, nutella