An easy and versatile homemade caramel sauce that you’ll want to drizzle over everything. This caramel sauce only needs 3 ingredients (4 ingredients if you want salted caramel sauce!) so there’s no excuse not to make it tonight.
- 100g granulated sugar
- 100g heavy cream, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, if you want salted caramel sauce
- Heat a small saucepan of sugar on medium heat until completely melts and deepens to a light brown colour.
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream white constantly stirring. The mixture will bubble up immediately. Keep stirring until the cream is completely combined (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in a tablespoon of butter at a time until it is completely melted and combined. If you want salted caramel sauce, stir in the salt at this time.
- When the caramel becomes thick enough to part when a spatula is dragged through it and the caramel slowly oozes back together, pour it into a small container and let cool completely. When it’s hot, it may seem like it’s too thin and runny but it thickens up considerably as it cools.
- Store caramel in the fridge and microwave for 15 second intervals to liquify before using.
Keywords: how to make caramel sauce, homemade caramel sauce, homemade salted caramel sauce, easy caramel sauce