Almond apple frangipane tart made with pink apples and topped with slivered almonds and dusted with powdered sugar
- 175g all-purpose flour
- 75g unsalted butter, cold & cut into chunks
- 25g powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 75g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g almond flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 small apples, sliced thinly
- handful of sliced almonds
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and butter chunks with a pastry cutter or by quickly pressing butter pieces and flour together with fingertips until they crumble into small, pea-sized pieces.
- Add sugar, egg, and salt and gently knead until the dough just comes together. Add 1 teaspoon of cold water if dough is too dry and won't stick together.
- If the dough has become too soft and warm, shape into a flat disc, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour or until ready to use.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough thinly until it is about 1-2 inches larger than the size of your fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
- Place the removable bottom of your tart pan on the dough, flip the dough and pan base upside down together, and gently place into tart pan.
- Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan, removing excess dough around the edges of the pan.
- Use a fork to prick holes all over the base of the tart shell. Chill in freezer while preparing the rest of the tart.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a hand blender until smooth.
- Add in eggs, almond flour, cinnamon, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture into prepared tart shell and smooth until surface is level.
- Arrange groups of slices on the top of the frangipane, alternating the direction of groups adjacent to each other. Tilt and press apart gently to fan out the slices. Fill the empty areas with additional slices.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until the tart shell and frangipane are firm and golden.
- Once cooled, sprinkle with almond slivers and powdered sugar before serving.
Prepare the frangipane filling and apples before taking tart shell out of the freezer and assemble all together to ensure the shell is nice and cold when baked to reduce shrinking. Tart shell can be blind baked for a maximum of 10 minutes at 375 F, if you prefer a thicker shell, but watch for burning when baking the rest of the tart.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: apple frangipane tart, apple tart, almond custard